Care and handling of mushrooms
Care and Handling for Consumers
- Select Mushrooms without visible moisture on the outside or in the pack
- To store bulk/loose mushrooms, place in a paper bag or keep in the original package and refrigerate.
- Mushrooms with open veils have more intense flavor and are usually better when refrigerate cooked
- To clean mushrooms, use remove any traces of peat moss or soil; or rinse quickly and a soft brush to
- Soaking fresh pat dry mushrooms or rinsing open veiled mushrooms may add excess moisture.
Care and handling for Retail
- Reducing farm to shelf time as well as high temperature flucuations
- Working with retailers to lower mushroom display case temperatures.
- Initiating activity with retailers to train produce managers to be more aggressive in rotating displays, culling poor product.
- Improving store ordering procedures to reduce back room carryover inventory.
Care and handling for Food service
- Refrigerate fresh mushrooms immediately upon receipt.
- Store between 34 F and 38 F.
- Keep in original shipping container
- Don’t stack heavy items on top of mushrooms
- Quickly rinse just before use.